Bushtarion Forums  

Go Back   Bushtarion Forums > Bushtarion Related > Bushtarion Discussions

Old 29-01-2009, 05:57 PM   #1
Mattheus
Head Gardener

Mattheus has started the journey down Repute Road
Default Forum Reputation

So. Along with the swanky new forums comes the reputation system. I have to admit I'm a little wary of this, so thought I'd make a thread on it. Not everyone seems to be aware of it yet, or maybe no-one really cares. If so, great.
As far as I know, it's a system where any forum member can give positive or negative 'reputation' to another member for any post they make. This adds or takes away to your total, which then shows itself in green or red blobs under your post count. Apparently being a good indicator of the well respected posters, and also the notorious trolls. You can view any rep you've received along with the person who gave it to you in the user cp iirc.
Good in theory, but also a recipe for circle jerks, abuse, and petty arguments ad infinitum. I've seen many squabbles about it on other forums. Just like post count, signup dates etc, forums reputation can become yet another way for people to stroke their e-penis and marvel at its growth.

I personally think that rep should be based on forum conduct, not on opinion. For example, I personally don't think you should give negative rep to someone just because they disagree with your suggestion/gripe. If they disagree in a trolling/flaming manner, then go for it. But if they make a well thought out and worded post then it's a bit low to take away from their 'reputation' merely for having a differing viewpoint.
If someone gives you negative rep, then don't just retaliate by giving that person negative rep back. Maybe he/she had a good reason?
The reason I'm saying this is because I'm already seeing many people with negative rep, despite not really doing anything wrong. I'm already hearing about someone receiving neg rep for simply disagreeing with someones gripe. I'm already hearing about this person saying he may just neg rep him back for abusing the rep system.

If this system is going to be kept (which I kinda hope it isn't), then can we at least use it maturely? Any thoughts?
Mattheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 06:14 PM   #2
Alcibiades
Hydroponics Developer

Alcibiades has their photo in magazinesAlcibiades has their photo in magazinesAlcibiades has their photo in magazinesAlcibiades has their photo in magazinesAlcibiades has their photo in magazines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattheus View Post
You can view any rep you've received along with the person who gave it to you in the user cp iirc.
Good in theory, but also a recipe for circle jerks, abuse, and petty arguments ad infinitum.
Agreed. I don't think it's going to be something to engender a lot of 'positive' feeling on the new forums.

Quote:
I personally think that rep should be based on forum conduct, not on opinion. For example, I personally don't think you should give negative rep to someone just because they disagree with your suggestion/gripe. If they disagree in a trolling/flaming manner, then go for it. But if they make a well thought out and worded post then it's a bit low to take away from their 'reputation' merely for having a differing viewpoint.
Again, agreed completely.

Quote:
If this system is going to be kept (which I kinda hope it isn't), then can we at least use it maturely? Any thoughts?
Other than an appeal to the playerbase to use it appropriately I can't think of a way to make only 'reasonable' offences reportable. I wouldn't mind if it vanished entirely, I think in all honesty most people on these forums can tell the trollers/flamers/brains/polite players apart with a fair amount of ease. And those new players we get will pick up fairly quickly as well i'm sure. I don't love this feature, and while I see that it could be a cause for a lot of fighting and an 'eye for an eye' kind of retaliation, I hope we haven't degenerated that far, that would be sad. I have faith!

"Head straight down LURK MOAR, turn left on STFU, then go on to FAIL, catch the bus at GTFO and you will be right back in NOOB-VILLE by sundown kiddo..."

"Your opinion, while interesting, is completely irrelevant."

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobapopalos View Post
Yes, I'm reactionary. I react when I read bullshit on forums. It's like a reflex.
Alcibiades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 06:15 PM   #3
tobapopalos
Hydroponics Developer

tobapopalos has their photo in magazinestobapopalos has their photo in magazinestobapopalos has their photo in magazinestobapopalos has their photo in magazinestobapopalos has their photo in magazines

My thoughts are that anyone that gives me bad rep will get knifed in the face. And that includes you, Mattheus, you big jerk (I kid, I kid).

The whole rep thing sounds ridiculous and will only bring more arguments and *****ing, which is one thing I do enough as it is.
Old 29-01-2009, 06:32 PM   #4
Azzer
Administrator
Garden Designer

Azzer has travelled far down Repute Road

I may disable negative rep altogether.

Positive rep can't really abused to a bad degree - and will, on the whole, reflect the more "intelligent" posters, but can also just be seen as a bit of fun, too.

While I personally wouldn't feel sensitive about being given negative rep by people that didn't like me, I understand some people do get more in to the "e-peen" side of things, and often take things like rep seriously/personally, so perhaps it for the best if I disable the possibility of giving negative rep, and keep it as a system of simply saying "Hey, that was a good post, +rep!".
Old 29-01-2009, 09:02 PM   #5
Cheese
Tree Surgeon

Cheese is more than a nobody... but not by much

Like a virtual pat on the back or a virtual kick in the nuts.
It's slightly gay but not the most gay thing on this forum.
Sort out the colour scheme before removing the virtual kick in the nuts!
Old 01-02-2009, 11:26 AM   #6
f0xx
Landscape Designer

f0xx has started the journey down Repute Road

Are moderators still able to give negative reputation?
Old 01-02-2009, 11:27 AM   #7
Weeble
Community Manager
Garden Designer

Weeble is more than a nobody... but not by much

Nope. No one can give negative reputation anymore, not even Azzer. Even if he adds negative reputation directly through the database, it'll just appear as neutral rep.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:44 AM   #8
f0xx
Landscape Designer

How do you explain this then?

Old 01-02-2009, 11:46 AM   #9
Weeble
Community Manager
Garden Designer

Wup. News to me!
Old 01-02-2009, 11:51 AM   #10
f0xx
Landscape Designer

I am happy to help the Mods

So they can give negative reputation?
Old 01-02-2009, 11:53 AM   #11
Weeble
Community Manager
Garden Designer

Apparently so!
Old 01-02-2009, 01:50 PM   #12
Azzer
Administrator
Garden Designer

Azzer has travelled far down Repute Road

Apparently the negative disabling doesn't affect mods. I'll let the mods know that negative reputation should be treated as "globally disabled". Any mods logged in would have simply seen reputation working as it did from the beginning, so can't blame harriergirl for not realising it was meant to be disabled!

Edit/Update: Never mind, found I have the ability to also disable negative reputation for mods, too, so no need to rely on simply asking mods not to leave negative reputation. I'll remove any negative rep already given.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:06 PM   #13
harriergirl
Garden Designer

harriergirl is more than a nobody... but not by much
Talking

I still love you f0xx.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:17 AM   #14
flameharvester
Head Gardener

flameharvester has started the journey down Repute Road
Default My opinion

I personally feel positive reputation could easily be abused as well.

To clarify if a person gives someone rep 100 times will the effect be the same or limited due to it being one person ?

Oh and positive rep to alci for his well worded post
flameharvester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:29 AM   #15
Weeble
Community Manager
Garden Designer

From what I've experienced, you cannot give reputation to the same person twice in a row. There's an unspecified number of people you have to give rep to first before you can give rep back to that first person.
Also, the moderators (and Azzer) will be checking for this kind of thing - if we see one person going around giving rep for completely inappropriate posts (or what-have-you) just so he can give rep to another person again, we'll take action.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Bushtarion Forums > Bushtarion Related > Bushtarion Discussions