Bushtarion Forums  

Go Back   Bushtarion Forums > Bushtarion Related > Bushtarion Discussions

Old 23-07-2021, 08:22 AM   #1
Azzer
Administrator
Garden Designer

Azzer has travelled far down Repute Road
Default Forum Signups Temporarily Disabled & Account Deletions

In preparation for moving servers to a faster, more powerful one in - if all goes well - in 5-6 weeks or so (between rounds), and upgrading all the server software to the latest versions of everything (which involves re-writing chunks of the game code on every single page too...), the forum software will also be getting updated to the latest version.

Until then, to prevent the ever-increasing amounts of forum-bot signups, I've disabled new forum signups altogether just for now, while we're still on the old one.

I've ALSO deleted around 16,500 accounts, 99.99% of them would have been bots - many that had odd spam links in their about me, or URL, or signatures, or were just registered ready to be logged in at a future time to post spam from "old accounts" - unfortunately there likely will have been a few genuine accounts with 0 posts - I'm really sorry but there was absolutely no way to sanely filter you out!

If you are a player who either lost your account and would like it back, or would like to signup a new forum account and can't wait for the new server, I can make you an account - hit me up via admin @ bushtarion.com email, and I'll help out.

Going forward, once we do have new forum software on the new server, depending on what bot/spam prevention the latest forum software does or doesn't have (I'm going to guess doesn't as no forum seems safe), I'm likely to link forum registration to a game account, so only people who are logged into an actual Bushtarion game account, can register a forum account.

Any problems with any of this, let me know!

(thank you so, so much to the poor forum moderators who have been fighting the bots all this time, Asmo especially stands out with the longest mod-log ever)
Old 23-07-2021, 11:44 PM   #2
Asmodeous
Super Moderator
Garden Designer

Asmodeous has travelled far down Repute RoadAsmodeous has travelled far down Repute Road

Yay!
Old 31-07-2021, 08:07 AM   #3
Azzer
Administrator
Garden Designer

Just a followup from this... I really wasn't happy with the state of the latest versions of vbulletin - I did go through upgrading everything on a local copy, and trying it out, but it's really lacking these days (and the new forced styles were particularly ugly - much worse than this older version).

So I've (again locally, ready for a server move in future) moved the entire forums to new commercial forum software, "XenForo" software, that is much more sleek and modern, with many more new/powerful features... took several days of non-stop scripts running just to convert the vbulletin forums in, but it seems to have preserved all users, permissions, groups, threads, posts, private messages, avatars, etc. - and we'll be using that going forward.

Now it was such a painful job doing it that I don't want to repeat it again in a few weeks - so I'll say that the forums as they are right now (minus this post itself!) are "frozen" - they will be the content on the new forums - any NEW posts/threads/private messages etc. made from about 27th July 2021 onwards WON'T get re-imported/copied back in. So any posts made please keep that in mind and consider keeping a copy-paste of any posts you want on the new forums that you can re-post again when the move is done.

Here's a little preview of the new forums and how they look, with a few colour scheme examples;

https://imgur.com/a/GRCETLp
Old 10-08-2021, 10:35 AM   #4
atsanjose
Super Moderator
Landscape Designer

atsanjose has travelled far down Repute Road
Send a message via MSN to atsanjose

Nice, when will new server be up?

I tried baking a pie on your flame, but it just wasn't hot enough.
atsanjose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2021, 01:25 PM   #5
Hobbezak
Tree Surgeon

Hobbezak has travelled far down Repute Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsanjose View Post
This is the new server silly!
"I've actually never seen him play well. Lots of scorequeening, land and flak whoring. Not that we've played often, but i've rarely heard good things other than he provides for amusement"<alcibiades on Hobbezak>

i got kicked out of Discworld for being inactive... atsanjose
Hobbezak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2021, 01:19 PM   #6
atsanjose
Super Moderator
Landscape Designer

atsanjose has travelled far down Repute Road
Send a message via MSN to atsanjose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbezak View Post
Quote:
This is the new server silly!

I tried baking a pie on your flame, but it just wasn't hot enough.
atsanjose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2021, 07:36 AM   #7
Azzer
Administrator
Garden Designer

Quote:
I was HOPING to have it for next round, but a combination of my latest surgery being scheduled (this Wednesday) and all the (over the past 10 days or so) extra medical checks/scans and increased pains that all entails for me has scuppered my plans a bit. Depending on things, some options might be delay the start of the next round by an extra week or two and run a quick "private world" for everyone... copy the current live game after havoc ends and then start a new "temporary main world 1" on the current old server with some crazy rules that won't get saved until I can do the new server... those are both a bit risky as I can't plan for EXACTLY when I can do all the moves (in part my own circumstances, in part the datacentre being a bit slow building the new machine for me...)... or put in SOME of the changes (fewer of the code-changes, mostly just balance changes) for this next-due round (including a shorter round by two weeks) and have the big move with all the full changes in the round after, which would be a shame, but would mean no stress, complications, or risks, at least.

We'll have to see!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Bushtarion Forums > Bushtarion Related > Bushtarion Discussions