Bushtarion Forums  

Go Back   Bushtarion Forums > Bushtarion Related > Suggestions

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 27-02-2014, 05:55 PM   #1
Obstacle
Pruner
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 68
Obstacle is more than a nobody... but not by much
Default Making game mobile.

I've seen a lot of talk on here about making the game mobile. And as a developer that can mean a couple different things.

Are people wanting an 'app' which would be a completely stand alone version of the game, or is all people are wanting is a website that looks good is easy to use and functions perfect on a mobile device and a standard desktop type website?

I would think people would want a website that also functions just fine on a mobile/tablet device is that what people are basically asking for with the mobile request?
Obstacle is offline  
Old 27-02-2014, 06:11 PM   #2
Dimitar
Landscape Designer
 
Dimitar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,120
Dimitar is now available for back-page interviewsDimitar is now available for back-page interviewsDimitar is now available for back-page interviews
Default

Am I allowed to answer if I think an app is a bad idea?
__________________
Dimitar is offline  
Old 27-02-2014, 06:16 PM   #3
Obstacle
Pruner
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 68
Obstacle is more than a nobody... but not by much
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitar View Post
Am I allowed to answer if I think an app is a bad idea?
Of course. I tend to agree as well. App's have their market, and I don't think this game fits in it.

I just wanted to make sure if people REALLY wanted an app (for some reason) or if they just wanted a functional game on a mobile phone.
Obstacle is offline  
Old 27-02-2014, 06:55 PM   #4
[Ninja-7]
Head Gardener
 
[Ninja-7]'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Land of the concrete cows
Posts: 264
[Ninja-7] is more than a nobody... but not by much
Default

Maybe wait for a response from your locked thread instead of starting a new one.
[Ninja-7] is offline  
Old 27-02-2014, 07:01 PM   #5
Obstacle
Pruner
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 68
Obstacle is more than a nobody... but not by much
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Ninja-7] View Post
Maybe wait for a response from your locked thread instead of starting a new one.
I already explained in my other thread how that would be mobile friendly.

This is a general question wondering what people mean when they request an 'app' because most people don't know the difference between an 'app' and a website built to work on a mobile/tablet device.

Am I not allowed to ask legitimate questions now?
Obstacle is offline  
Old 27-02-2014, 07:17 PM   #6
InSoMnIaC20
Head Gardener
 
InSoMnIaC20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 452
InSoMnIaC20 has started the journey down Repute Road
Default

I would be quite happy with an "app" that opens the webpage but also encorperates a calculator for seeds, spys pars and hacks values as I play 100% from my phone
InSoMnIaC20 is offline  
Old 27-02-2014, 09:13 PM   #7
Dimitar
Landscape Designer
 
Dimitar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,120
Dimitar is now available for back-page interviewsDimitar is now available for back-page interviewsDimitar is now available for back-page interviews
Default

I would be happy if people had no way of accessing the game through their phones.
__________________
Dimitar is offline  
Old 27-02-2014, 09:20 PM   #8
Obstacle
Pruner
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 68
Obstacle is more than a nobody... but not by much
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitar View Post
I would be happy if people had no way of accessing the game through their phones.
I would have to say you are a first on the side of the fence that I have run into. What would be the difference in allowing and denying mobile phone use?

Or why do you feel that way about mobile use?
Obstacle is offline  
Old 27-02-2014, 09:23 PM   #9
Dimitar
Landscape Designer
 
Dimitar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,120
Dimitar is now available for back-page interviewsDimitar is now available for back-page interviewsDimitar is now available for back-page interviews
Default

Because back when this game was actually playable, people would find enjoyment in attacking and having actual fights, insted of their targets being contacted and running. Now it seems that if you want to kill a competitive (not going to use the word good) player, you have to attack him about 20 times before you manage to somehow get a BR.

Contactability is ****.
__________________
Dimitar is offline  
Old 27-02-2014, 09:40 PM   #10
Obstacle
Pruner
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 68
Obstacle is more than a nobody... but not by much
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitar View Post
Because back when this game was actually playable, people would find enjoyment in attacking and having actual fights, insted of their targets being contacted and running. Now it seems that if you want to kill a competitive (not going to use the word good) player, you have to attack him about 20 times before you manage to somehow get a BR.

Contactability is ****.
Do you think people opted to that style of play because getting killed in a single tick of combat is too easy and being crippled just makes you want to quit.

do you think people would care less about being contactable if the penalties of going through an attack were not as severe or debilitating?

Don't get me wrong they should have some type of penalty, otherwise the attack becomes worthless. But do you think if making an attack hurt way less than it does now that people would opt less to call me if needed type of attitude?
Obstacle is offline  
Old 27-02-2014, 10:29 PM   #11
InSoMnIaC20
Head Gardener
 
InSoMnIaC20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 452
InSoMnIaC20 has started the journey down Repute Road
Default

I completely agree with the contactabilty issue Dimitar, I am no longer contactable as I enjoy my sleep and dont really want disturbing while I drive for a living.

That being said, I also dont own a laptop or tablet at the moment so would be unable to play the game at all without my phone.

The only way to combat the contact issue is for the whole playerbase to agree not to have a contact thread.

Sadly I feel this will never happen.

Softening the game may help the playerbase to stray away from contactability but there will allways be that hardcore few that just love their troops so much that they wont let them die by being contacted in the middle of the night by a stranger from half way across the world.
InSoMnIaC20 is offline  
Old 27-02-2014, 11:45 PM   #12
No-Dachi
Official Helper
Garden Designer
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Oslo, Norway
Posts: 902
No-Dachi has started the journey down Repute Road
Send a message via MSN to No-Dachi
Default

I think an app would be the best solution. Then you can hide some features and make a real playable front on the app, while keeping the game and it's subleties on the www page.
__________________
Audentes Fortuna Iuvat
No-Dachi is offline  
Old 28-02-2014, 08:29 PM   #13
'Tiger'
Landscape Designer
 
'Tiger''s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 1,250
'Tiger' has travelled far down Repute Road
Default

I would favour towards the app stage myself. The age we live in now, if people want to play games, they want apps, not having to go on a website for it. Everything has an app now.

If people in this game downloaded the app, and it got advertised well, then the app could be just as successful.

In response to Dimitar's comment about phone access: I agree, and disagree. I agree because people continually running does get boring. But, I disagree because people only play through their phones. So because you dont like people running, you're going to stop people being able to play altogether? And also if you dont allow to play through phones, then an app or mobile friendly www wont be able to be made, possibly reducing potential customers.
'Tiger' is offline  
Old 01-03-2014, 11:19 AM   #14
Max
Garden Designer
 
Max's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: London
Posts: 1,012
Max is starting to catch people's eyesMax is starting to catch people's eyes
Default

OK this post may be met with complete and utter derision, but I'm starting to spend a bit more free time working on a bushtarion simulator.

Instead of posting asking for ideas though I've just kinda been getting on with it and then when it's finished I'll get some of you guys to beta test it and let me know what you think.

It'll start out being a single player "tool" rather than a game. I've already written the battle calculator and have a clear idea of one of the game modes, which is a solo survival mode. Essentially it's a completely simplified version of solo play where you get to pick between 20 randomised targets at 50% of your score, attack 5 of them, and then at the end of a "day" a randomised target comes and attacks YOU.

Then the next day starts and all the targets are raised to 60% of your score, increasing up and up until you get zeroed.

Main reason I'm doing this is because 1) I think that I'll find it a fun tool even if no-one else does and I'm the only one who ever plays it 2) It's my first android app and I enjoy learning how to do new things and 3) Legacy reasons, if the server dies and Azzer decides it's not cost effective to keep it going he'll just stop the game, simple as that.

I'm not even going to bother providing an end-date because you won't believe me anyway xD But just to let you and especially Obstacle know what I'm doing.

The thing that's going to take the longest is linking all the pages together and ensuring the data gets transferred between those pages without bugging out on me, but the battle calculator and page layouts are finished.

The good news is that I've got a 3 hour commute each day with my new job so I can dedicate time to this project, but the bad news is that I have to finish my last PhD rewrites first, which will take a week xD

Just thought it was relevant to the current discussion.

Max
__________________
My User Profile, please do check out my continued IDs of failure! http://www.bushtarion.com/portal/por...hp?Nick=Maxsim

Max is offline  
Old 01-03-2014, 04:36 PM   #15
antisback
Head Gardener
 
antisback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 419
antisback is starting to catch people's eyesantisback is starting to catch people's eyes
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Tiger' View Post
I would favour towards the app stage myself. The age we live in now, if people want to play games, they want apps, not having to go on a website for it. Everything has an app now.

If people in this game downloaded the app, and it got advertised well, then the app could be just as successful.

In response to Dimitar's comment about phone access: I agree, and disagree. I agree because people continually running does get boring. But, I disagree because people only play through their phones. So because you dont like people running, you're going to stop people being able to play altogether? And also if you dont allow to play through phones, then an app or mobile friendly www wont be able to be made, possibly reducing potential customers.
You guys sound like the clients i have to deal with, "we need an app". Do you really or are you just saying that because apps are sexy. All bushtarion needs is a mobile friendly stylesheet - i'm not sure an app would provide any extra functionality above and beyond a responsive site.
Thats beside the fact azzer built bushtarion to be incredibly difficult to integrate with, the lack of apis and the cookie limit make it very difficult. I've been eperimenting with injecting css into the site with phonegap, watch this space i guess.
antisback is offline  
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Bushtarion Forums > Bushtarion Related > Suggestions

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.